Press "Enter" to skip to content

Anthony Barajas, shot in Corona movie theater attack, dies

Anthony Barajas, the 19-year-old Corona resident who had been on life support since being shot at a Corona movie theater on Monday, died Saturday morning, July 31, the Corona Police Department said.

The police are working with the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office to add a second murder count against the suspected shooter, Joseph Jimenez. He had been charged with murder in the death of Barajas’ friend Rylee Goodrich, 18, and attempted murder in the shooting of Barajas.

The DA’s Office also had charged Jimenez, 20, with a special circumstance of lying in wait that makes him eligible for the death penalty if convicted as charged. A charge of multiple murders would also be a special circumstance, said John Hall, a spokesman for the DA’s Office.

Jimenez had been scheduled to enter pleas on Friday, but that arraignment was postponed to Aug. 5. It was not immediately clear Saturday whether Barajas’ death would affect that schedule.

Barajas was a 2019 graduate of Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, where he was an honor student, soccer star and had lead roles in many school plays. He also had hundreds of thousands of followers on his TikTok social media account.

The two friends, who police said were shot in the head, were on a date at Regal Edwards cinema at the Crossings at Corona shopping center. They were found by an employee after the last showing of the night of “The Forever Purge,” a movie whose plot centered around the suspension of all criminal laws for 12 hours annually.

Goodrich was a 2020 graduate of Corona High who was planning to attend Grand Canyon University in Arizona.


Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: