- The city’s name derives from Spanish and means “old alder” or “old sycamore.”
- Aliso Viejo is Orange County’s 34th It is the only city in Orange County to incorporate since 2000.
- The total population, as of this year, is 50,756.
- The city’s slogan, “Aliso Viejo – Experience It All” was created by a resident of Aliso Viejo.
- In 2007, the city was declared a “walkable community” by the City Council. This was done in an effort to increase awareness, community and business participation, and foster healthy families and community activities.
- There are 21 parks within the 6 square miles that make up Aliso Viejo.
- Every single resident in Aliso Viejo lives within three miles of the Town Center.
- Over 53% of Aliso Viejo residents have attained a Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- The city is home to an 18-hole championship golf course, designed by professional golfer Jack Nicklaus.
- In 2009, Aliso Viejo was named as one of the Top 25 Towns To Live Well by Forbes.
- The fossils of an 11 million year old Paleoparadoxiid, a creature resembling a hippopotamus, were discovered in Aliso Viejo.
- The city’s top employer is the United States Parcel Service, with approximately 1,000 employees.
According to the City’s 2016 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of employees|
|1||United Parcel Service||1,000|
|3||Capistrano Unified School District||679|
|7||Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo||259|
|8||Pepsi Beverages Company||215|
|9||Smith Micro Software||200|
|10||Merit Property Management||199|
|14||Bausch & Lomb||160|