Press "Enter" to skip to content

Moving to another state requires applying again for Real ID

Q. I was raised in California, got married and in 2003 moved to Arizona. We have just returned to live here and I applied for my California driver’s license. I had the Real ID on my Arizona license and was told by a Department of Motor Vehicles clerk here that I could not transfer it to my new California license. They said I had to reapply. Is that true?

— Carol Mitchell, Lake Forest

A. Yes.

Under federal regulations, said Kimberly Keys, a California DMV spokeswoman, the state providing the Real ID must obtain its own images of the documents. Further, each state must do its own Social Security and Department of Homeland Security check as well.

When the new Real ID is issued, the previous one gets canceled out.

You can start the process online, including uploading your documents before going into an office to finish up and get your mugshot taken.

Or, Carol, after Real ID’s enforcement starts on May 3, 2023, you or anyone else can just use a different federally accepted ID, such as a passport, to board domestic flights.

Honk, by the way, in the past has said that someone has to apply only once for a Real ID, that when renewing a license or a state ID that status carries over. Well, technically he was correct. You move out of state, you get a new license, not a renewed one. Still, with hindsight, he sees he might have caused some confusion. He apologizes.

Q. You recently mentioned the paperwork process for selling a car: Submit a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, so the Department of Motor Vehicles knows any future parking and traffic violations had nothing to do with you. And then make sure the new owner files a transfer of ownership and pays any fees, or the sale is not recorded. But that last step is outside the seller’s control, what can be done?

— Dave Dobrin, Fountain Valley

A. The ol’ Honkster had wondered the same thing: How do you make sure the buyer does his or her part? Is there another form to fill out?

Ronald Ongtoaboc, a DMV spokesman, didn’t have the answer by the time Honk needed to push along that column to the Web and to print, but he kept digging.

“I know your latest article was published (recently), but I still want to follow-up on your questions so you can have this information for future reference,” he told Honk in an email.

“The seller can submit the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (REG 138) form to notify the DMV of a vehicle transfer,” Ongtoaboc said. “To ensure that a transfer went through, the seller may call DMV’s customer service line at 1-800-777-0133 and provide the vehicle’s information.”

If a seller wants to take it another step, Honk supposes, he or she could go to a mailbox with the buyer and drop in the transfer of ownership paperwork and the fee together.

Honkin’ fact: The new year brought in new laws — those under age 18 must now wear a secure helmet when riding a horse, mule, donkey or other equestrian animal along a paved, public roadway in California. Further, after sundown, all riders now must have reflective gear or a lamp of some sort on them or on their ride (Source: California Highway Patrol).

To ask Honk questions, reach him at He only answers those that are published. To see Honk online: Twitter: @OCRegisterHonkst

Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *