As the state enters historic territory for acreage consumed, these are a dozen of the large wildfires burning in California.
For details on an individual fire, see our California Wildfires page. Articles with evacuation information are free to all readers.
- Slater. Burning in the national forests on the California-Oregon line. Evacuations in Siskiyou and Del Norte counties. Started Sept. 7. (140,000 acres, Sept. 11)
- Red Salmon. Started July 27. Evacuation order issued Sept. 9 for the town of Denny. (76,996 acres, Sept. 10)
- Elkhorn. Now merged under one name are the Elkhorn, Hopkins, Vinegar Peak and Willow Basin fires, all started Aug. 17 by lightning. Though this merged fire also touches the August Complex to the south, they are being managed as separate incidents. Evacuation orders in Humboldt, Trinity, Tehama and Mendocino counties. (255,309 acres, Sept. 10)
- August Complex (Doe). This complex was initially 37 separate fires started Aug. 17 by lightning; most merged into the Doe Fire. On Sept. 10, burned acreage was listed as 471,185; together with Elkhorn, the burn area covered about 740,000 acres. Evacuations in Trinity, Tehama, Mendocino, Glenn and Lake counties.
- North Complex (Bear). The Claremont, Bear and Sheep fires were started Aug. 17 by lightning. Explosive growth Sept. 7-9 sent the Bear Fire to the edge of Lake Oroville. Evacuations in Butte, Yuba and Plumas counties. (244,203 acres, Sept. 10)
- North Complex (Sheep). Part of the complex that did not merge with the others, it is now 100% contained at 29,570 acres.
- Dolan. Big Sur fire started Aug. 18, believed to have been arson. Extreme growth during dry, windy weather Sept. 7-9. Evacuations in Monterey County. (111,382 acres, Sept. 11)
- Creek. Started Sept. 4 near Shaver Lake, in the Sierra foothills. Evacuation orders in Fresno and Madera counties. (175,893 acres, Sept. 10)
- SQF. Complex of the Castle and Shotgun fires, started Aug. 18 by lightning. Evacuation orders in Tulare County. (68,093 acres, Sept. 10)
- Bobcat. Started Sept. 6. No current evacuation orders. (26,368 acres, Sept. 11)
- El Dorado. Started Sept. 5 by a pyrotechnic device in a park near Yucaipa. Evacuation orders in San Bernardino County. (13,715 acres, Sept. 11)
- Valley. Started Sept. 5; cause is under investigation. Evacuation orders in San Diego County. (17,665 acres, Sept. 10)
Source: Orange County Register
Be First to Comment