Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man convicted in fatal drive-by shooting on 91 freeway

SANTA ANA – An Orange County Superior Court jury on Wednesday convicted a 49-year-old Anaheim man of first-degree murder for fatally shooting a passenger in another vehicle on the 91 freeway in Anaheim in 2014.
In addition to murder, David Arzate Cabrera also was convicted of possession of drugs for sale and possession of a firearm by a felon. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole when he returns to court for sentencing on March 23.
Prosecutors said mechanic Agustin Villegas, 32, was on the 91, heading home from work when Cabrera, driving a sedan, suddenly shot him in the head.
Villegas died at the scene. A cousin was driving while his 13-year-old son and his 15-year-old nephew were both sitting in the back seat.
Prosecutors said Villegas and Cabrera were strangers, but Cabrera, a cocaine dealer, had told police that he believed Villegas had been following him that day and wanted to rob him.
At the time of his arrest, police searched Cabrera’s home in an Anaheim trailer park and found a Nissan in the driveway with a secret compartment in the center console. The compartment held $15,000 in cash, 15 grams of cocaine, and a Glock pistol with the same type of ammunition used in the shooting, authorities said.
Source: Oc Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: