Press "Enter" to skip to content

Compton man charged in shooting of 2 deputies in that city

A 36-year-old Compton man – already in custody on suspicion of carjacking, robbery and assault with a firearm – was named as the suspect in the shooting of two Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies as they sat in their black-and-white near a Compton Metro Station earlier this month, authorities said on Wednesday, Sept. 30.

Deonte Lee Murray faces two charges of willful, deliberate and premeditated attempted murder of a peace officer in connection with the brazen Sept. 12 attack, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced. The shooting was caught on surveillance video.

Both deputies were struck in the head by gunfire and were hospitalized in serious condition. They since have been released, but Sheriff Alex Villanueva has said they have a long road to recovery.

Murray was arrested Sept. 15 following a pursuit and standoff, two weeks after he allegedly confronted a man in Compton, shot him in the leg and stole his vehicle, prosecutors said.

Detectives later tied him to the shooting of the two deputies.

In addition to the charges, Murray faces allegations of association with a criminal street gang, discharging a rifle inflicting great bodily injury and personal use of a rifle in the carjacking incident.

He faces a maximum possible sentence of life in state prison if convicted as charged.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.


Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: