Press "Enter" to skip to content

Santa Ana man faces murder, gun possession charges in fatal June shooting in Anaheim

A 41-year-old Santa Ana man was charged with murder and possession of a firearm by a felon following his arrest this week in connection with the fatal shooting of a man in an illegal internet café in Anaheim in June, records show.

Gabriel Shaun Garcia, 33, of Anaheim. (Courtesy of Anaheim Police Department)

Lionel Raphael Cruz was taken into custody without incident about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14, in the 2400 block of Tustin Avenue in Santa Ana, Anaheim police Sgt. Shane Carringer said.

He was scheduled to appear in court Nov. 6, where he may enter a plea to the charges, which includes enhancements for discharge of a firearm causing great bodily injury or death and committing a secondary offense while released from custody, court records show.

Detectives declined to disclose how Cruz was identified as the suspect in the fatal shooting of 33-year-old Gabriel Shaun Garcia of Anaheim, or what prompted the June 19 attack in the 900 block of South Magnolia Avenue, Carringer said.

Officers were called to the café about 2:15 a.m. the following morning and found Garcia inside suffering from at least one gunshot wound. Investigators learned he had been dead for about a day before his body was discovered, Carringer said.

Cruz was booked into the Anaheim Detention Facility on suspicion of murder and felon in possession of a firearm, Carringer said. He was being held on $10 million bail.

Cruz was out on bail for an unrelated gun possession offense at the time he was arrested, Carringer said.


Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: