Firefighters rescued a man and a dog from a home that caught fire in Stanton early Sunday, July 18.
The fire was reported at a duplex on the 10500 block of Sycamore Avenue at about 5 a.m., Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Sean Doran said. First-responders found an unconscious man in a bedroom of one unit.
They carried him, as well as a dog, to a team of paramedics in the front yard, Doran said. They performed CPR on the man before rushing him to a hospital. Firefighters described his condition as “critical” in a social media post Sunday morning.
The dog appeared conscious when it was taken out of the home, Doran said. It was left in the care of neighbors.
People living in the unit attached to the one that burned heard sounds of some sort of trouble Sunday morning, Doran said. They managed to flee the building unharmed.
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear. Much of the damage it caused took place in an attic shared by both units of the duplex, Doran said.
“This is a big save, because flames can spread quickly through a common space like that,” Doran said.
Firefighters cut a hole in the building’s roof and sprayed water from hoses to douse the flames inside, Doran said. Damage was limited to one unit of the duplex, and crews managed to extinguish the fire within 22 minutes of arriving.
Source: Orange County Register