LOS ANGELES — Demonstrations and other activities in Southern California, and across the nation, targeting systemic racism and police brutality are entering a second month with no signs of waning.
The ongoing actions were sparked by the Memorial Day death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Floyd was killed when a police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes while he was handcuffed and face-down on the ground.
The officer was fired and has been charged with second-degree murder. Three other officers involved in the arrest were also fired and have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder.
As protests continue, the focus has broadened to include a range of other issues including the debate over who deserves to be memorialized with a statue, Hollywood casting and gentrification.
Events on today’s schedule in Los Angeles and Orange Counties include:
- 9:30 a.m. HOLLYWOOD – marching to demand justice and change? Hollywood Boulevard & lvar Avenue (a@crea8thechange
- 10 a.m. USC – youth march for Black Lives, Jefferson Boulevard & McClintock Avenue, (auiulosangeles)
- 10 a.m. LADERA RANCH – 27402 Antonio Parkway at Crown Valley Parkway
- 10 a.m. WOODLAND HILLS – Family-friendly Black Lives Matter rally & march, Warner Center Park, 5800 Topanga Canyon Blvd. (@turningpointla)
- 10 a.m. MID WILSHIRE – 2-mile run/walk/ride for justice, followed by townhall, L.A. High Memorial Park, 4625 West Olympic Blvd. @WalkgoodLA)
- 11 a.m. LA CANADA FLINTRIDGE – #BLM Protest, Memorial Park, 1301 Foothill Blvd. (@lacanadablm)
- 11 a.m. ENCINO/SHERMAN OAKS – Skate/Board/Bike Rolling Protest! 5101 Libbit Ave., (SFV Roller Derby)
- 11 a.m. SANTA ANA – ” Defund Apartherd, Defund the Police,” (masks required), 550 North Flower at West 6th Street, (ayalla_indivisible, palestinianyouthmovement)
- Noon SANTA ANA – “No More Police Brutality, No Kids in Cages, Black Lives Matter,” Black Panther Park. 507 W. 4th St, (@ivetteboyzo)
- 1 p.m. ORANGE – Chapman University Piazza, Outside Leatherby Library, 1 University Drive
- 1 p.m. BEVERLY HILLS – march to the British Consulate General to call for justice on behalf of Shukri Abdi, a 12-year-old girl who was a victim to racially motivated violence in the U.K. La Cienega Park, 8400 Gregory Way (@nyaduothg)
- 2 p.m. SHERMAN OAKS/NORTH HOLLYWOOD – Black Joy Rally & Dance celebrating Black Life!, Ventura & Sepulveda boulevards & Noho Park, 11455 Magnolia Blvd. (@thevalleyofchange); Ostego Street and Tujunga Avenue (@iamthedaisha)
- 2 p.m. DOWNTOWN LA – Protest & breakout sessions, City Hall near the park, 200 N, Spring St, Los Angeles, (@activeadvocate)
- 3 p.m. INGLEWOOD – fight racism, fight gentrification (masks required), 919 S. Praire Ave., (@litunion)
- 4 p.m. LOS FELIZ – northeast corner of Los Feliz Blvd. & Riverside Drive, (@herestheproblem)
- 4 p.m. EAST LA – “Justice for Paul Rea,” a one-year later memorial service organized by his family, 300 South Gerhart Ave.
- 4 p.m. EAGLE ROCK – BLM and remembering those who’ve been killed by police, (Community organized), Colorado Boulevard and Townsend Avenue
- 5 p.m. BOYLE HEIGHTS – anti-police propaganda day (masks required), Mariachi Plaza, 1831 E. 1st St., (@stp_la)
Ongoing daily demonstrations are held at the following locations:
- Noon at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, 15301 Ventura Blvd.
- Noon in South Pasadena at Mission Street and Fair Oaks Avenue
- Noon & nightfall outside Los Angeles City Hall, 200 N. Spring St.
- 3:30 p.m. in Laguna Niguel at Crown Valley Parkway and Greenfield Drive
- 4 p.m. in Los Feliz at Los Feliz Boulevard and Riverside Drive
Source: Orange County Register
Be First to Comment