Press "Enter" to skip to content

Children drink floor sealant that was served as milk at Alaska school

Twelve children drank floor sealant that was served instead of milk to students at a summer program in Juneau, Alaska, according to the school district.

Children in the program at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱-Glacier Valley Elementary School began complaining that the milk they were served as part of Tuesday’s breakfast tasted bad and was burning their mouths and throats, Juneau School District said in a statement.

The breakfast items had been placed on trays by an outside contractor.

After the children complained, employees “immediately followed up by smelling/tasting the milk and looking at the container/label,” the statement said. “It was found that the ‘milk’ served was actually a floor sealant resembling liquid milk. Staff immediately directed students to stop consuming the substance and removed it.”

The site manager for RALLY, the summer care program, contacted poison control and alerted parents, according to the statement, and “all steps provided by poison control were carefully followed.”

One student received medical treatment at a hospital, and two other students were picked up from the school “and may have gone to seek medical advice,” the statement said.

The condition of those students and the other nine children was not included in the statement.

RALLY provides state-licensed child care for students ages 5 through 12 and is a partnership with the Juneau School District, according to the district website.

An investigation is being conducted into how the incident happened is ongoing and includes participation from the school district, the police department and the city, according to the statement, which did not specify who is leading the investigation.

The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: