Press "Enter" to skip to content

Before curfew kicks in, hundreds show up for Garden Grove protest

Hundreds of protesters, many of them young, arrived in Village Green Park near the Garden Grove City Hall on Wednesday, June 3, to protest the death of George Floyd on Memorial Day in Minneapolis.

Protesters started the event shortly before 4 p.m. by taking a knee and a moment of silence for nearly 10 minutes as the crowd continued to grow. Marchers then headed south on Main Street, past boarded-up storefronts, west down Garden Grove Boulevard and north up Brookhurst Street.

Among the marchers’ chants was a call and response:

“Say his name!”

“George Floyd!”

“Say her name!”

“Breonna Taylor!”

Taylor is emerging as a regular focus of protests. The emergency room technician was shot and killed by police in her Louisville home on March 13.

The Garden Grove event is one of at least nine protests across Orange County taking place Wednesday, June 3.

The city on Tuesday declared two days of citywide curfews, beginning at 6 p.m. both Tuesday and Wednesday and continuing until 5 a.m. the following morning.

During the curfew, people are supposed to stay indoors, off of any public streets, sidewalks, parks, or other public places within the city of Garden Grove. Businesses must remain closed during the curfew hours.

“We are asking for the public’s cooperation in following the curfew orders so we can ensure the safety of our community, our businesses, and our first responders,” Garden Grove City Manager Scott Stiles said.

People traveling to and from work, seeking or giving emergency medical care, emergency responders, homeless and news media are exempt from the curfew.

Protesters gather at the Village Green Park clock tower on Wednesday, June 3. (Photo by Jeong Park, Staff Writer)

Mayor Steve Jones said the city denounced the circumstance of Floyd’s death after a police officer knelt on his neck for several minutes.

“Garden Grove fully condemns the senseless actions that led to the inhumane death of George Floyd that should never have happened, and must stop here,” Mayor Steve Jones said.

Source: Orange County Register

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: